II. Does God hate homosexuals? No. NO. NO! NOOOOO!
A. Many have portrayed God as a hater of sinners in general and homosexuals in particular.
1. The Bible makes it clear that the opposite is true.
For God so LOVED the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
But God commendeth (demonstrated) his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Tit 3:4
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1Jo 4:10
2. And on the verses go…. The reality is that God has proven His love for the human race as a whole, and you and me in particular, by allowing Jesus to pay our sin debt.
3. We could get into a deep theological pit and attempt to discuss a lot of the "Then why is it that…" arguments, but let's stay out of that pit for now and just discuss one of them.
B. If God loves homosexuals, "then why is it that" God condemns homosexual behavior and casts them into hell?
1. Good question! It is because that while God loves the homosexual, that behavior is sinful and so must be judged by God.
2. I know that you were probably hoping for a friendlier answer, but there is not one.
3. As I mentioned before, God is the Authority. He is the One who makes the rules and enforces them. What's more, He is bound by His own holiness to follow His judgments.
4. So God made man (Ge 2:7), woman (Ge 2:22), and gave them the ability to sexually join together for pleasure and procreation…
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion overt he fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Genesis 1
5. God did not make men for men or women for women but men for women and women for men. (I will probably make the following statement or one like it many times.) If you don't agree with or like that assertion, that is your option; however, it is the way God created us (you included) and so it is true.
6. Whenever we, as God's creation, fail to do or to be what God designed us to do or to be, we have sinned. The Greek word for sin, ham-ar-tan-o, means to miss the mark and when we do not hit the mark that God has for us, we have sinned.
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 1Jo 3:4
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. Jas 4:17
Because he hath despised the word of the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him.Nu 15:31
7. And ALL sin-not just homosexuality, but ALL sin-has the same penalty, HELL.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:15
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not theSon shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Mr 9:43
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: Mt 25:41
C. I know that this offends some. As a matter of fact, I know it makes some livid.
1. However, IF there is a God and IF He is holy as the Bible reveals Him and IF those who reject God's Word are going to be cast into hell, AND CHRISTIANS DIDN'T WARN YOU, what kind of people would we be?
2. You may think the Bible is phony (again, I would be glad to discuss that later) and you may think that we Christians are stupid (most of us are to one degree or another); but Christians believe the Bible, so give us a break and quit calling us hateful and bigots--at least don't call the ones of us who are not being hateful that.
3. The truth is that many Christians are vocal about this particular sin because they care about those involved in it. If you don't want them to talk to you about homosexuality or the Bible in general, tell them-then YOU quit talking about it.
4. Most Christians recognize that God has given you a free will and that if you, with understanding of what the Bible says, want to reject it, they will continue to pray for you, but they will respect your wishes and wait for you to bring it up in the future.
5. By the way, just because you ask them not to speak to you doesn't mean that they won't express Biblical views about homosexuality on their own Facebook page or through other means. You are not their only friend and they still want to get the truth to as many as they can. IF YOU DO NOT MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY TO THEM, THEY PROBABLY WON'T MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY TO YOU.
6. Of course, some people are just dumb, rude, and hateful. They sling insults and run off at the mouth no matter what; but those people exist on both sides of every debate so you either need to learn to ignore them or "unfriend" them-both on Facebook and in real life. For those of you who have been genuinely mistreated by a Christian, I apologize.
D. By the way, comparing Christians to the medieval crusaders and the inquisitions is like comparing apples to planets. They really have nothing in common. Just because someone claims to have a relationship with Christ does not make them a Christian any more than getting a diploma makes one smart.
1. The Bible makes it very clear that the only ones who are Jesus' are the ones who obey His commandments.
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1Jo 2:4
If ye love me, keep my commandments. Joh 14:15
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Joh 14:21
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. Joh 14:23
2. Jesus commanded His own not to hate or kill for His kingdom's sake.
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not oft his world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. Joh 18:36[>
…all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Matt 26:52
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. Mt 5:39
If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 1John 4:20
3. Those who did or do kill in Jesus' name simply are not Christ's followers, no matter what they tell you, what they are called, or whose religion they belong to.
E. And another thing, just because a Christian tells you a behavior is wrong does not necessarily mean he or she is violating Jesus' command.
Judge not, that ye be not judged. Mt 7:1
1. If a Christian is graciously revealing a behavior to you that God has said is sinful-and you are openly participating in it--then the Christian is not judging you. God is judging you through the Bible.
2. Granted, if you are not doing a behavior and someone accuses you of it, they have judged you. And even if you are participating in a behavior that the Bible says is wrong, if they are rude and hateful, they are mistreating you.
3. But if you are standing in front of them, sinning and open about it, and a Christian shares with you that what you are doing is a violation of God's Word, they are not judging you. God has judged you beforehand. That's right, God has already judged you (John 3:18)--then He recorded the judgment in the Bible so that you would know about it before you had to face Him. He did that with the desire that you might hear of His judgment and turn from that sin while you have time. The Christian is merely letting you know about God's judgment on a behavior which has already been determined.
4. Instead of calling that caring Christian a judge, you should call him or her a good friend because that is what they are trying to be.
5. Again, if you don't want them to be your friend, tell them. Most Christians will honor your wishes.
F. In summary, God does not hate the homosexuals or any other sinner. God is holy and warns the human race that certain behaviors are sinful and will bring eternal judgment because He wants to help you. He proved that when He gave His Son to pay the very wages of the sin that you and I have earned!